How to Take a Fibre Sample
The main points to note regarding mid-side sampling are as follows:
- Always use the same sample site. This will enable you to effectively compare results from year to year or animal to animal. The preferred and most commonly used site is the mid-side. The mid-side is located half way between the fore and hind leg and half way down the body mass.
- To breed for reduction in variation of fibre diameter across the fleece, three sample sites may be used. In this case, the mid-side, the shoulder area and the pin-bone (hip) are recommended.
- For OFDA2000 testing, the size of the fibre sample needs to be only the width of two fingers.
- When cutting the sample from the animal, ensure the sample is taken as close to the skin as possible so that a complete test analysis can be conducted on the whole length of fibres.
- Place the sample in a paper bag. If a plastic bag is used, the bag should not be sealed as condensation build-up can distort the fibre measurements. Record the animal’s name and/or tag/registration number on the bag.
- Make payment for fibre testing using ‘Order Fibre Testing’ page
- Send the samples to AAFT.
For samples sent within the UK:
Art Of Fibre
PO Box 9603, Poole. BH15 9JA
For samples sent within Europe:
Art Of Fibre
Moyaliffe House, Ballycahill. Co. Tipperary, E41HX59. Republic of Ireland